July, 1969. 14 banks were nationalised. 50 years later, on the anniversary, it remains one of the most significant and debated decisions.
— BloombergQuint (@BloombergQuint) July 18, 2019
Journalism is the new engineering. Too many colleges offering degress, but no jobs going around, unless you count writing stories around what people are saying on Twitter and sharing in Instagram, as a job.
— शिक्षित बेरोज़गार (@kaul_vivek) July 18, 2019
Debate on Immigration is usually lacking in nuance, with advocates of "open borders" never baking in the cultural tensions that it would bring
Brian Caplan has some interesting thoughts on how we can increase "immigration" and yet maintain cultural homogeneity
An extract – pic.twitter.com/9IpMF3s0uM
— Śrīkānta Kṛṣṇamācārya (@shrikanth_krish) July 18, 2019
🚨 We are granting early access to our India local data series: 500k villages, 8000 towns, 4000 constituencies. 25 years of admin data on firms, public goods, consumption, labor, elections, demographics, forest cover, etc.. All hyperlocal. Thread w/@thesamasher and @tobylunt 👇 pic.twitter.com/WN4QvsRwQC
— Paul Novosad (@paulnovosad) July 19, 2019
People call tech companies monopolies (e.g. MSFT, FB), but their reigns usually end every few decades.
The top universities have remained the same for *centuries* without new entrants posing much of a threat.
What structural/systemic barriers prevent disruption/new competition?
— Erik Torenberg (@eriktorenberg) June 7, 2019
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
Prof at Gokhale Institute, Pune, Blogger at econforeverybody.com, Podcaster at anchor.fm/backtocollege View all posts by Ashish